Twelve U.S. properties—including eight in California—were honored with a spot on Forbes Travel Guide’s 2019 list of the World’s Best Rooms.
The list, which does not provide numerical rankings, contains 41 properties in 17 countries. The following California properties made the list.
- Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa in Rancho Santa Fe features 49 casitas (hacienda-style suites), which average 1,000 sq. ft. and have vaulted ceilings, sunken living rooms and patios.
- Nobu Ryokan Malibu offers the chic minimalism of a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) in its 16 guest rooms. The rooms include tatami mats, yukata (traditional robes) and floor-to-ceiling ocean views.
- The 92 guest rooms at Belmond El Encanto in Santa Barbara offer coastal-style serenity with a blend of light, airy textures and locally carved furnishings that reflect the tranquility outside.
- Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills’ 285 guest rooms and luxury suites all feature step-out balconies with expansive views of the gardens, Los Angeles or Beverly Hills.
- The 201 guest rooms at nearby Montage Beverly Hills blend modern comforts with the classic ambiance of a historic Beverly Hills estate.
- Another property in the same city, The Peninsula Beverly Hills, offers 195 guest rooms, including 38 suites and 17 private villas, nestled among lush tropical gardens in the heart of Beverly Hills.
- Bernardus Lodge & Spa in Carmel Valley’s 73 guest rooms, suites and villas combine Old World sophistication with new-world style. They exude an air of European elegance reimagined for the ultimate in Carmel Valley comfort.
- The 24 guest rooms at Mediterranean-style Casa Palmero in Pebble Beach are a minimum 585 sq. ft. and feature exceptional amenities and a setting reminiscent of an Italian villa.
More US Hotels and Resorts
These four additional U.S. properties also are on the list.
- Regis Aspen Resort in Colorado offers 179 guest rooms, all outfitted with custom furnishings, including a leather bed and desk designed by Ralph Lauren.
- The Peninsula Chicago offers 339 guest rooms, and its spacious, one-bedroom Junior Suites—with views overlooking Michigan Avenue and a bright and airy atmosphere—are the most popular among guests.
- Blending form and function, the 210 spacious guest rooms at Park Hyatt New York In New York City offer heated, natural-stone flooring and deep tubs made of marble. Many of the 92 suites offer partial views of Central Park and showcase custom furnishings by Yabu Pushelberg.
- The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park features 253 redesigned guest rooms and suites, inspired by New York City’s chic penthouses and the Central Park landscape. They offer contemporary luxury with stunning views, iconic art prints and bespoke amenities.
North America, Caribbean and Other Properties
Other properties in North America and the Caribbean on the list are The Resort at Pedregal in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, boasting 115 guest rooms featuring curated reading material, premier amenities, plush bedding and a private plunge pool; The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort in Nayarit, Mexico, situated on 22 acres of pristine jungle and oceanfront terrain, and featuring 33 casitas that house 89 rooms, 26 suites, three villas and one presidential villa; The Ritz-Carlton Montreal, with 129 guest rooms that blend the elegance of the hotel with the sophisticated destination of the city; and Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Preserve in Puerto Rico, featuring 129 residences with pristine ocean views and expansive, open-air living spaces.
The remaining 25 properties are from China (seven), France (four), United Kingdom (three), Switzerland (two) and Australia, Austria, Canada, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Philippines, Singapore and United Arab Emirates (one each).
The list was compiled based on visits by incognito inspectors who checked into hotels for two nights, paying their own way and posing as ordinary guests. They evaluated properties on 900 objectives, exacting standards, including the quality of linens, whether spaces are properly soundproofed and what type of snacks are stocked in the minibar. The winners all achieved perfect scores on guest room and bathroom standards measuring luxury, comfort and convenience, along with being spotless and well-maintained.