Long airport security lines are making headlines this week, as tired passengers are forced to wait until Congress, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and U.S. airlines can reach an agreement. If you’re one of 231 million travelers expected to pass through a security checkpoint this summer, it might be wise to find your own solution. Discount travel website Hotwire has found five ways to survive the lines and get through security with your sanity intact.
1. Stay Connected— Download the app of the airline you are flying on, and routinely check it for updates and boarding information. Through the app, you can also purchase inflight Wi-Fi and download your favorite movies, TV shows and albums to keep you entertained.
2. Make a List, Check it Twice— If you’re someone who has a never-ending list of things to do, now would be a great time to make it. While standing in line, jot down all of the things you need to accomplish or purchase once you land.
3. Plan Your Travels— Spontaneous travelers who might have booked a trip at the last minute can use the opportunity to plan activities and research their destination. Look up activities, attractions, groups and festivals with the wide selection of travel apps available at your fingertips.
4. Keep in Touch— While you’re waiting, is there anyone you haven’t spoken to in a while? Take the time to reconnect by making calls to friends and family members. You can chat for hours, and they’ll likely receive your full attention.
5. Multitask— Another option is to catch up on reading material by keeping your favorite book or magazine within easy reach. Or tackle your inbox and prioritize emails. It’s also a great time to set up out-of-office alerts. Who ever said waiting in line was a waste of time?