Airports are becoming increasingly tech-friendly.
Here are six that are highly recommended:
Indianapolis International Airport
– An innovative customer-service robot answers passengers’ questions. Touch-screen kiosks can connect them to local hotels and attractions. Free Wi-Fi.
– QR codes in parking lots email drivers the location where they parked their car. Uber and Lyft vehicle services are available.
– The LEED certified airport has 75 acres of solar panels, more than any other airport.
– Interactive InfoGate system, featuring a touch-screen camera, printer and ticketing system, allows travelers to videoconference with airport staff. The system can also read boarding documents, provide airport, hotel and destination information and print out maps.
– EasyPASS automated border control scans and matches certain passengers’ faces to their passports.
– Complimentary computer stations; free Wi-Fi throughout.
Singapore Changi Airport
– Named World’s Best Airport three years in a row.
– Movie theater screens free films; entertainment deck features video-game consoles. Unique Social Tree uploads Photobooth pictures and videos to a 30-ft. “tree” of flatscreens.
– Butterfly and sunflower gardens; free massage chairs.
– Complimentary Wi-Fi and computers.
Edmonton International Airport
– Eco-conscious airport recycles rainwater, purifies the air with a wall of living plants and has installed solar panels.
– Flier-assisting robots and interactive touch-screen tables provide airport information and games.
– Talking defibrillators guide bystanders through a medical emergency.
– Robot valet named Ray picks up passengers’ cars from designated spots, places them in stalls and updates drivers on arrival/departure times.
– Real-time airplane tracking is available on a website map.
– Free Wi-Fi, up to 30 minutes.
– Airport app allows passenger to download an airport map and boarding passes. Robbl, the airport’s tablet-on-wheels robot, can provide flight info.
– Airport services like parking and lounge access can be arranged online.
– Automated boarding and bag-drop counters.
– Free Wi-Fi, up to 90 minutes.