Call it Earth Stay! In celebration of Earth Day 2017, several national upscale hotels and restaurants are enticing guests to stay and dine with earth-friendly offerings. One Arizona chamber and visitors bureau is celebrating Earth Day on a big stage at the Grand Canyon.
Take a look at six Earth Day invitations, starting with Hyatt Hotels, which is showcasing its commitment to the environment and local communities with initiatives that reflect the company’s dedication to customers who care about the earth.
1. Hyatt Regency Monterey in California is featuring a Travel Green Giveaway. The first 100 guests who check into the hotel on Earth Day, April 22, will receive a “Plant Your Pencil.” The soil-friendly pencils come in different herb varieties, including basil, cilantro, parsley, cherry tomato, and mint. Simply push the pencils into the ground, watch them grow and then pluck the herbs for eating.
2. TusCA Ristorante, Hyatt Regency Monterey’s acclaimed restaurant, gets in on the Earth Day act. The restaurant is featuring fresh ingredients on its April 22 menu. TusCA embodies the spirit of Earth Day with organic vegetables, plucked straight from the local soil, along with fresh seafood. Earth Day menu offerings include mixed green and endive salad with goat cheese, spiced walnuts and local honey vinaigrette dressing; seared salmon with artichoke pesto, roasted heirloom potatoes and grilled asparagus. All of them can be paired with Twisted Roots wine selections from Carmel Valley.
3. Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa in Lahaina, Hawaii, is offering a self-led Sustainability Tour on Earth Day. Participating guests will learn about the resort’s dedication to the environment while walking the lush grounds and sublime gardens of one of Hawaii’s most diverse islands. Maui, as regular visitors know, has numerous microclimates, ranging from arid to tropical. It makes sense that Hyatt Regency Maui, a LEED-certified hotel, would celebrate Earth Day with a sustainability tour.
4. The 1 Hotels in New York City and Miami are going all out for Earth Day. The 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge is offering panel discussions, wellness experiences and a live performance by Bella Gaia, a multisensory stage show with music and dance, and immersive NASA imagery. The New York hotel is offering personal astrology and wellness readings; Beers for Change at 1 Hotel’s patio; meditation sessions at Brooklyn Bridge Park, led by teacher Light Watkins; and Skyline Yoga on the hotel’s rooftop, with professional instructor Caley Alyssa. In Florida, 1 Hotel South Beach will recognize the importance of Earth Day with Mind & Movement activities that include a butterfly release at the hotel’s center pool; boardwalk bike ride, coordinated with Surfrider Foundation’s local Miami chapter; local dune and beach clean-ups; strength-and-mobility endurance training at the hotel’s gym; and a closing “hydrating” celebration at Tom on Collins, the property’s cocktail bar.
5. Courtyard Marriott Orlando Downtown is the official hotel for Central Florida Earth Day 2017. The all-day celebration takes place on April 22 at Lake Eola Park and is organized by Vegetarians of Central Florida. A long list of festival events is being hosted by Earth Day sponsors in junction with Orlando Sentinel newspaper. In addition, a free advanced screening of a new Disneynature film will be shown.
6. South Rim Chamber and Visitors Bureau in Arizona is celebrating Earth Day this year at Grand Canyon National Park. The CVB is extending invitations to visitors and locals alike to celebrate the 47th anniversary of Earth Day during “Fee-Free Saturday” on April 22. The celebration will include information sessions about the park’s environmental initiatives, along with games, a recycled art walk, recycled arts and crafts activities, and an all-important litter clean-up. Events start at 10 a.m. at Grand Canyon Visitor Center plaza, near Mather Point.