Airlines are wooing members with rewards that go well beyond seat upgrades, although in some cases you can even get the seats!
– For 9,000 miles, Air France passengers can secure a fashionable bright-yellow wallet made from a recycled life vest. Hobbit fans can redeem 145 Air New Zealand points for a replica of the magic silver scarf worn by Gandalf in The Hobbit. (pictured)
– Cash in 747,000 miles and All Nippon Airways (ANA) will give you an actual set of business-class seats from a 747. ANA members can also trade 15,000 miles for a four-course meal and a bottle of champagne at a Lexus dealership in Tokyo.
– Avianca fliers can trade 5,803 miles for a walking tour of pizzerias in Manhattan. Visitors to Beijing can use 35,500 Quantas points for a city tour and lunch at a 600-year-old former Buddhist temple.
– Want to pop The Question 25,000 feet in the air? Purchase a marriage proposal kit from El Al for 120 points, plus $60. It includes wine, elegant glasses and premium chocolates.
– Cathay Pacific passengers can exchange 15,000 miles for a Made in Hong Kong Tour that includes visits to a suit tailor, shoemaker and wood engraver.
– Aviation enthusiasts can take advantage of EVA Air’s 90-minute flight simulator experience for 100,000 miles.