For the second year in a row, attendees at IMEX Frankfurt will have the opportunity to sit for the Emergency Preparedness Certificate Program (EPCP). The intensive, daylong class covers everything from risk management to insurance and personal safety, and was first offered in Dallas in March 2017.
“The focus is on prevention, mitigation and recovery,” said Lisa DeLeon, DMCP, senior vice president of sales with Destination Tahoe Meetings & Events, a DMC Network Company. She is chair of Association of Destination Management Association International (ADMEI)’s Certification & Accreditation Board, which administers the program, though the team approach to building an Emergency Operations Plan makes the May 20 class ideal for all event professionals.
DMCP Certification Standards
“Planners may not realize that DMCs have to know everything in the Convention Industry Council manual and the Best Practices in Destination Management manual,” said DeLeon, who explained that the first Destination Management Certified Professional (DMCP) certification test was given nearly 15 years ago in Palm Springs, California. The manual is being completely revised for release in 2020.
More: The Best Kept DMC Secret
DMCs need to have at last three years of experience, have executed in 28 of 42 focus areas and have letters of recommendation from clients and industry partners. “You have to be well-rounded and actively involved and continuing to grow your craft,” said DeLeon said. People study for months with flashcards and study groups. “It is about learning how to study again,” she joked. There are currently 333 DMCPs in the world and designees must continue to demonstrate active involvement in the community and education to recertify every five years.
Are You as Smart as a DMCP?
The DMCP exam covers 150 questions based on designated DMC competencies. Try your hand at these.
1. A client has contracted the DMC to provide shuttle service from the congress hotel running every fifteen (15) minutes to the convention center. The morning general session requires that all participants be at the convention center by 9:00 a.m. Shuttle service is to begin at 7:00 a.m., with the vehicle turn time of forty-five (45) minutes. Thirty-six passenger buses are being used, with a 95 percent fill rate, and the client typically sees 75 percent ridership for their programs. Here is the hotel block:
Hotel 1: 100 rooms
Hotel 2: 75 rooms
Hotel 3: 95 rooms
How many buses will be needed to fulfill the clients’ expectations?
- Four (4)
- Five (5)
- Eight (8)
- Nine (9)
The correct answer is B.
2. You have planned a seated dinner for a client with rounds of 10 for 60 people. The group has a history of 3 glasses of red wine per person. How many bottles of wine will you need to order for the group?
- 24 bottles
- 36 bottles
- 48 bottles
- 45 bottles
The answer is B.
Try another quiz: Quiz: Are You Ready to Add CMP to Your Name?
3. The DMC has engaged the services of a professional speaker. The speaker’s greatest concern is the quality of sound in the session room. You will use:
- Cluster system
- Stacked amplifiers
- Line array audio
- Distributed sound
The answer is D.
4. One of the best ways to get participants to examine what they learned in a team-building exercise is to:
- ask if the participants had fun
- introduce participants to the instructions
- hire a professional facilitator
- ask open-ended questions
The answer is D.
5. A lacto-ovo vegetarian will not eat:
- macaroni & cheese
- shrimp cocktail
- an omelette
- spinach souffle
The answer is B.
How did you do?