Marriott International’s development pipeline is booming.
The Bethesda, Maryland-based, company has more hotels and rooms coming on line than any other hotel franchise company, according to a new report. And this means an abundance of new options coming soon for meeting planners.
Marriott’s numbers for 2017 are staggering. In the United States, Marriott will add 1,301 hotels and 167,641 rooms, according to a report from Lodging Econometrics.
Marriott got a boost from its purchase of Starwood Hotels and Resorts in 2016. The $13 billion deal added 10 brands—including St. Regis, Westin and Sheraton—to its portfolio. About 1-in-3 rooms in its U.S. pipeline flows from the Starwood buy.
A few highlights from the Lodging Econometrics report:
* Fairfield Inn is the largest brand in the pipeline, with 297 projects kicking in 26,284 rooms.
* Marriott accounts for 1-in-3 projects under construction nationwide. That’s a total of 471 hotels.
* The company leads the industry in projects expected to start construction in the next year with 705 hotels and 85,902 rooms.
* Another 125 projects are in the early-planning stage. They account for 167,641 rooms.
* Marriott has hotel development underway in 42 states and Washington, D.C.
A few high-profile properties scheduled to hit the market this year and next include:
* AC Hotel Miami Aventura in April
* Moxy NYC Times Square in July
* Gaylord Rockie Resort & Convention Center in October 2018
Hilton ranks No. 2 in the rush for hotel rooms. In the fourth quarter of 2016, Hilton tied Marriott for new hotel openings, each with 79 new properties opening their doors.