One of the most important (and often overlooked) areas in event planning is ground transportation. Omayra Cruz, director of client services at GroundLink, has compiled a list of five things that every planner should look for when it comes to getting attendees to the venue.
GroundLink is a technology-based car service that offers a suite of tools, including a platform for business travelers to book rides via the Web or mobile app in 5,000 cities in 110 countries, with real-time tracking of vehicle locations. In 2011,USA Today named the GroundLink app the best of its kind.
Cruz is responsible for building and managing strategic accounts for the company. Prior to joining GroundLink, she led a variety of partnerships and project teams at the online food-ordering service GrubHub. She has a master’s degree in cultural studies from the University of Leeds in England and a doctorate in literature from the University of California, San Diego. Here are Cruz’s “must-haves” for securing flawless ground transportation.
1. Reliability: Your guests are relying on you, so you should be able to count on your ground transportation to be on time. Select a service that commits to a reliability rate. Why gamble with your time? Choose a service that knows how valuable and important it is.
2. Customer Support: Planning an event involves a ton of details. Find a ground transportation company that can book the reservations, prepare a written manifest for the event and confirm the details in advance. It is important that the ground transportation’s event service department is responsive and reactive to the many contingencies that often accompany even the most carefully executed event plan—because, of course, plans change!
3. Vehicle Options: What type of cars do you need? Will you require sedans for every guest? Limos or vans for larger groups? A combination of sedans, SUVs and limos? Choose one company that ensures premium vehicles, provides quality service and can manage all of your transportation needs.
4. Customization: Look for a service provider that can customize a package for you based on your needs and budget. Do you need the cars on call for the entire event or available for only drop offs and pick-ups? Can people wait to be taken to a location or does everybody need to go at once? Work with a ground transportation company that specializes in events and will help you service your guests by providing real-time tracking of the rides taking place.
5. Availability Worldwide: Whether your event is in New York City or Greensboro, N.C., you need a car service that is reliable and trustworthy. By choosing a car service with worldwide coverage, you know you’ll be getting the same level of consistent and reliable experience no matter where your event takes place.